The regular meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by Bill Shapiro.
Board of Recreation members in attendance: Bill Shapiro, Denise Urbaniak, Mary Ellen Vichiconti, Kyla Rocha, Heather Labance, Joyce Brensinger. Also in attendance: Mishelle Downtain, Jeanne Buffalino, Mayor, Harry Shortway.
Trails of Vernon:
Mishelle Downtain provided an update on the Trails of Vernon challenge.
- The goal is to promote Vernon.
- Knapsack bags promoting the challenge are being distributed for free at the following local businesses: Lake Wanda Store, Smokey’s Restaurant, Heaven Hill Farm, Pochuck Farm, Healthy Thymes store, Scully’s Restaurant.
Greenway Action Advisory Committee:
Mayor, Harry Shortway provided an update on the advisory committee with an overview of long term goals.
- Increase trails in the town, with sufficient parking, to help alleviate some of the congestion on the Appalachian Trail boardwalk and Pinwheel Vista areas.
- Pump track installed in the open space of the previous playground area at Veterans’ Memorial Park.
- Jeanne Buffalino outlined the “Trunk or Treat” event which will be held on Friday, October 28, from 6-8 p.m. at Maple Grange Park.
- She asked for volunteers to help with that event.
- After discussion it was decided that holiday parade can be held in conjunction with the town’s annual tree lighting on Saturday, December 3rd.
- Tentatively the parade will begin at the PAL building and end at the Vernon firehouse followed by pictures with Santa and the tree lighting.
- Jeanne Buffalino stated that a tree will be donated and planted at the firehouse.
- The Vernon Chamber of commerce is hosting a Farmer’s Expo on September 9th.
- Discussion regarding the local organizations and town committees working together to promote the town/events.
Motion to adjourn at 9:00 p.m. made by Heather Labance; motion by seconded by Denise Urbaniak. Motion approved.
Next Meeting—September 21, 2016