The regular meeting was called to order at 7:32 p.m. by Bill Shapiro.
In attendance: Bill Shapiro, Denise Urbaniak, Heather Labance, Mary Ellen Vichiconti, Joyce Brensinger, Jeanne Buffalino
Approval of Minutes:
Motion to approve March 16, 2016 meeting minutes made by Mary Ellen Vichiconti; motion seconded by Heather Labance. Motion approved.
Tabled for next meeting
- Bill Shapiro will contact Jeanne Buffalino regarding shirts for Board of Recreation members.
- Kelly Weller reported via e-mail that more sponsorships and donations are needed for the “Spring In Your Step” 5K race.
- Bill Shapiro will ask Jeanne Buffalino to provide an updated list of sponsors and donations for the race.
- Jeanne Buffalino stated that the focus should be on items/products for the race “swag bags.”
- Bill Shapiro will contact Mayor Shortway to get more details on the type of parade the mayor envisions.
- Open discussion of parade ideas included:
- Schedule the parade for the Saturday after Thanksgiving and tie into the “shop local” day.
- Include sports organizations, the high school band, Boy and Girl Scouts, dance groups, civic groups.
- Include the fire companies and have the parade end with Santa and the tree lighting.
- Bill Shapiro asked board members to research and bring more ideas to the next meeting.
Discussion of events, other than events now being managed by the PAL, that were coordinated by the Board of Recreation.
- Memorial Day parade—volunteers handed out flags with information attached about upcoming events.
- Bill Shapiro will contact Mishelle Downtain about the cost of flags and the possibility of ordering.
Discussion of ideas for events/projects that can be coordinated by the Board of Recreation included:
- Appalachian Trail photo contest
- Bicycle Race and Kids Bicycle event
- Antique Car Show with Wanderer’s Car Club—Joyce Brensinger volunteered to contact Dan Storey and invite him to next meeting to provide more information
- Farmer’s Market
- Town Wide Flea Market
- Maple Grange Spring and Fall Clean-Up—ask local youth sport leagues to assist
Motion to adjourn at 8:29 p.m. made by Mary Ellen Vichiconti, seconded by seconded by Bill Shapiro; motion approved.