Meeting began at 7:00 p.m.
Previous Meeting Minutes Approved
Teresa Vihti approved, second by Art Alviene.
Dragonflies grand opening scheduled for October 1, 2011 at 3:00 p.m. September 20, 2011 is Vernon Chamber of Commerce mixer—Elmer Platz to attend. Camp Sussex, nothing new to report. Missy W. is working on new EDAC website. Introduction of new members Rosanne Brennan and Craig Thompson.
Discussed Town Center. Town Center designation is a legal issue per NJ law. Investigate regaining this designation without expense, Eddie to follow up. Once that is secured next step is to contact John Drake at Sussex County EDP. Discussed possible anchor stores. Teresa and Art to work on a package to present to businesses once we are ready to do so. Risk assessment must be done re: wetlands, highlands act, property ownership, fire department and BOE. Must discuss with attorney Kevin Kelly and engineer Corey Stoner. Teresa has canvassed business owners and residents regarding businesses they would like to see in Vernon. Some highlights are: movie theater, bowling alley, small park, commuter transportation and visitor center. Also discussed a town slogan “Vernon—An all season community to live, work and play.“ Group discussed the need for indoor activities when there is bad weather. Agro-tourism is popular.
Further discussion of website, Jim S. to transfer ownership of old site to us. Discussed the use of Facebook. We will have a page on the township site; we are not subject to OPRA since we are adhoc.
Round Table Discussion
- Natalie: Ordinance 10, Eddie to discuss with Kevin K. and the mayor.
- Art: Permit approval time needs to be better.
- Craig: EDAC need short goals that can be achieved quickly.
- Missi: Would like input for new website and input/sponsorship for Christmas tree lighting on December 7, 2011.
- Elmer: Sign ordinance status and consistency between town center and the rest of the town.
- Teresa: Business cards are ready to print.
Meeting adjourned at 8:35 p.m. Motion by Elmer Platz, second by Eddie Dunn.
Next Meeting: October 3, 2011
Natalie Buccieri, Secretary